"The costume that puts my technique to the test! (And guarantees business for my chiropractor!)"
“This costume comes in around 40 lbs. It sits pretty evenly on my hips, but you still have the weight pulling down on your shoulders and neck. I start off the show in this extravagant gown walking downstage singing a giant cadenza and holding a severed head prop (supposedly it’s designed to weigh the same as a real human head! I’ve never held a real severed head, so I’ll take their word for it…). It took me a couple of times in my first dress rehearsal to get through my first line in one breath due to the costume heft. This dress also makes sure I don’t overeat before the show!”
"The costume that makes me feel like a million bucks!!"
“This is my favorite costume!! I mean, honestly, a fur-trimmed parasol? What’s not to love about all this over-the-top extravagance?! I feel like a true Prima Donna in this costume. I have a feeling wardrobe would notice if I tried to steal this one…”
"The costume that makes me feel like a wedding cake!"
“Il Muto is our ‘opera within the opera’ scene. It’s one of my favorite moments in the show because I get to combine technique with physical comedy. How many Broadway singers get paid to leap around on a bed and croak on stage?”
"The costume that makes me aware of my space!"
“This costume involves wings out my back and my hand-held mask. My wings have gotten caught on people, the mannequins, even the curtains! And—note to self—this mask has a metal rim. When you accidentally poke yourself in the eye with it while doing choreography, it hurts. ;)”
"The costume that fits like a glove!"
“This costume was built specifically for me and fits like a glove! It’s very common after 26 years that our expensive and extravagant costumes at Phantom get altered to new cast members. This one was built for me for the 25 the anniversary performance, and I love it! Again, such extravagance! It has over 150 yards of hand-seen trim, and you gotta love my fur- trimmed hat!”
"The costume that gets caught everywhere"
“This costume, despite its weight, is super comfortable but it’s huge! Space is so tight backstage at Phantom, I feel like wardrobe is constantly repairing the skirt for rips and tears as I get caught in the wings!”
Formatted by Viscountess.
THIS IS MY FAVORITE ARTICLE OF ALL TIME EVER
…and at that moment she felt that to be mistress of Pemberley might be something
You’re always here to me. And I always listen. And I can always see you.
Surely a prince’s brain knows what its mouth is doing?
a dystopian novel about some guy who works in the government and is just trying to get by while some shitty kids try and overthrow society
wow! it looks lovely!
Another grand, if a little busy, day as an Edwardian. I even had someone chase my down one of the garden paths to ask for a photo.
The blouse is made by yours truly! Bloggidy blog post here.
there are so many things happening here someone please explain:
les mis at the oliviers 2014
I watched the first episode of The Crimson Field the other day, and never have I been so outraged at someone eating cake.
I almost wish we were butterflies and liv’d but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.
Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply!
Purple: 10 facts about my room
1. My bookshelves are in colour order, or where they’re not overly stuffed with books and various odd bods, that is.
2. I have my dressmakers dummy in here, currently dressed in an unfinished Renaissance dress, and an awful lot of scarves.
3. The only thing I have up on the wall is a poster from the hollywood costume exhibition at the V&A, and my guitar.
4. I have fairy lights up on the curtain rail, because fairy lights.
5. I have a habit of piling things up, so there are these various piles of certain things dotted about the place.
6. There are a lot of shelves with nonsensical things upon them. Half a shelf is taken up simply with glass bottles and jars that I’ve collected…
7. Part of the wall is painted white, the other a horrible snotty green that I need to get round to painting white. Like, seriously.
8. Much like the rest of the house, it houses a few musical instruments. One guitar, one electro acoustic bass, one classical guitar, and one ukulele.
9. Most of the items are things I accumulated in my childhood.
10. Bits of historical costume are everywhere!
Black: 1 fact about the person I like
I, uhhhh, don’t really like anyone at the moment.